The Warsaw Philharmonic Hall building, known in Polish as the National Philharmonic Hall, was erected in 1900–1901 in a quarter bounded by three streets: Jasna, Moniuszki and Sienkiewicza, under the direction of Karol Kozłowski, and then remodeled in 1955 by Eugeniusz Szparkowski. Its festive inauguration took place on 5 November 1901; the soloists included pianist, composer and future statesman Ignacy Jan Paderewski, as well as Wiktor Grąbczewski (bass).
From 1901 to 1945, the building was modeled on 19th-century European philharmonic halls and opera houses, especially the Paris Opera. It received rich, eclectic interior decoration with European Neo-Renaissance and Neo-Baroque influences in a – for those times – modern interpretation.
World War II interrupted the activity of the Warsaw Philharmonic Hall. The building was burnt down during the siege of Warsaw by the Germans in 1939; during the Warsaw Uprising in 1944, it was bombed and substantially destroyed.
The building was rebuilt after the war according to a design by Eugeniusz Szparkowski and Henryk Białobrzeski; it lost its original richly-ornamented interior decoration and was substituted with the stylistic language of Socialist-Realist architecture. In its new form, it came back to life on 21 February 1955, together with the inauguration of the 5th Fryderyk Chopin International Piano Competition. That same day, the Warsaw Phiharmonic was honored with the title of National Philharmonic.
The building has two halls at its disposal – one for chamber music with 378 seats, as well as a concert hall with seating for 1072. The present executive director is Wojciech Nowak; the post of artistic director is held by conductor Jacek Kaspszyk.
Warsaw Philharmonic Hall, ulica Jasna 5, Warsaw